I made a really yummy, very cheap and pretty darn healthy cassarole this weekend. I shall share my method with you…
Creamy Tuna & Broccoli Casserole
1. In a mixing bowl, mix the following:
· 1 can of cream of celary soup
· 1 cup of water
· 2 TBSP dried onion
· 1/2 TSP garlic powder
2. Mix with a fork or whisk until lumps are gone
· 2 cans of tuna (don’t drain it)
4. Mix in thoroughly with a fork.
· 1 cup of instant rice
· broccoli florets (as much as you want)
6. Stir in.
7. Pour all of it into a casserole.
8. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes
This is pretty much a basic cassarole, and can be easily modified to suit your taste.
Variations on the theme:
- You can use any type of “cream of” soup.
- You can replace the tuna with any meat or beans if you want to go vegetarian.
- You can replace the broccoli with other veggies. You can use fresh veggies or frozen. Canned veggies would probably get too mushy.
- You could add french fried onions, crumbled ritz crackers, corn flakes, or bread crumbs to the top for a crunchy texture.
- You could add cheese in and on top if you like it cheesy.
- You could add a variety of spices for a kick.
It’s easy to keep the supplies for this in your cupboard and freezer, so on one of those days where you wander around going “what can I eat?” you can just pull out your rice, soup, tuna & veggies and have a good dinner in about 35 minutes.