Take a fresh warm corn tortilla and add your favorite fixings:
- Pinto beans, simmered or mashed
- Shredded cheese
- sour cream or unsweetened yogurt (or crema if you can find it)
Other optional toppings:
- Simmered beef
- Minced onions
- Diced jalapenos
- Scrambled egg
- 1 lb. bottom round of beef – trim any excess fat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/8 C white flour
- 1 can (14-15 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (7 oz.) diced green chilis
- 1 jalapeño – diced
- 1/2 cup water
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt to taste.
- Cut meat into 1 inch pieces.
- Brown meat in olive oil. Add onion and garlic, cooking until soft.
- Sprinkle the flour over the browned meat; cook 2 minutes.
- Then, add remaining ingredients. Stir.
- Cover and simmer on very low for 1 to 1.5 hours, checking and adding water as needed.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve on tortillas with your favorite baleada toppings.