A recipe used during the Great Depression.
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cream butter and sugar until real smooth.
- Cook raisins in water until water is reduced to 1 cup.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the raisins and the liquid.
- Grease and flour a tube or loaf pan.
- Pour the cake mixture into pan and bake in a 350/o oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done when tested with a tooth pick in the center of the cake.