The Brussels sprout bake tastes very classy. The lemon juice really adds a kick and mingles nicely with the garlic. The original recipe had sauerkraut in it… completely unnecessary. It reheats nicely, and I’ve been adding some shredded cheese to it when I reheat it. It works well as a main dish, but could also be a nice side dish.
Here is the recipes, as I altered it. Keep in mind I was substituting as I went, so measurements are not precise. Use your best judgment and taste-test often.
Ham and Brussels Sprout Bake
* 20 Brussels sprouts (fresh or frozen)
* 1 cup cubed ham
* 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 2 finely chopped green onions
* 1/2 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
* olive oil
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons dried basil
* ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Sauté mushrooms and garlic in olive oil.
2. Toss together the Brussels sprouts, ham, mushrooms, green onion, garlic, and ¼ cup cheese in a large bowl until combined. Add the lemon juice, garlic, basil, and pepper; toss until coated. Pour this mixture into a 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
3. Bake in preheated oven until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 45 minutes.