A Hot Spot is an area that, when left unattended, will gradually take over.
One favorite analogy is of a hot spot in a forest fire, if left alone will eventually get out of hand and burn up the whole forest. This is
what happens in our homes. If left unattended the hot spot will grow and take over the whole room as well as making the house look awful.
When you walk into a room, the Hot Spots are the first things you see.
Why do we have Hot Spots?
We lay a piece of paper down on a flat surface, because we will not take the time to deal with it. That one piece of paper is like a clutter magnet and before you know it, the simple piece of paper becomes the spark that turns into a raging inferno that takes over your living areas and makes your home look messy.
Identify your Hot Spots right now:
Go to your front door and stand there as if you were entering your home for the first time. What do you see? A pile on the dining room table or another pile on your sofa table?
Here is your assignment:
- Go to your front door, stand with your back to the door and find your first hot spot. The very first one you see.
- Set your timer for only 5 minutes and work on clearing it out. You are going to be so surprised at how much you can do in 5 minutes.
- After you have put out that fire; grab a glass of water and celebrate your accomplishment of clearing out a hot spot!
- At the top of the next hour, do the same thing; Go back to the front door and find another hot spot!
- When you make it fun, you will get the job done! At the top of any hour you can, set your timer for 5 minutes and clear a hot spot!
Before you know it, your Hot Spots will be cool and soothing to the eye and your home will look cleaner!
Ready? Set? GO!!!!
PS: Do not be a perfectionist and wait for the top of the hour to do your first Hot Spot Fire Drill – go do it NOW!