- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1 -inch chunks
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 white onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 large turnip, cut into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Irish stout beer (e.g. Guinness®)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss beef cubes with flour to coat, then fry in the hot oil until browned. Place the carrots, potatoes, turnip,onion and garlic in a large slow cooker. Place the meat on top of the vegetables. Mix together the beef broth and tomato paste and pour into the slow cooker along with the beer.
2. Cover and cook on High for 6 hours or Low for 8 hours. During the last hour before serving, dissolve the cornstarch in cold water and then stir into the broth. Simmer on the High setting for a few minutes to thicken.