Today’s prompt for National Migraine Awareness month: Migraine Awareness Month #7: List Topper. There are lots of myths and misconceptions about Migraine. Which one tops your list as the biggest and most common? What can we do to get the truth out there?
The most obvious one, the one I deal with most frequently, and the one that frustrates me the most is the idea that a migraine attack is a “headache.” The reasons this one bothers me so much:
- It’s not JUST a headache. Sure there’s head pain involved, but the other symptoms are often more incapacitating than the pain itself – nausea, sensitivity (sound, light, touch, smell), dizziness, confusion, exhaustion, vomiting…
- It bears little resemblance to the thing that most people call a “headache.” Not to say that other types of headache don’t suck. But the experience is totally different.
- Sometimes, my head doesn’t hurt at all during an attack. It can be all nausea, wooziness and confusion.
- General “headache” treatments and home remedies are not going to help me. So saying “yeah, I get headaches too, Excedrine usually does the trick for me” does not really make us kindred spirits.
- Just because I can sometimes grit my teeth and get through a day at work with a migraine, doesn’t mean I can do it every time. Not all “headaches” (or migraines) are created equally. Some are a minor inconvenience, some put me down for the count.
I try not to use “headache” to describe any but my most mild attacks. If I have to stay home from work, I’ll say I had a migraine attack – not a headache. Having a product out there called “Excedrine Migraine” does not help our case at all. I think this is going to be a tough myth to bust.
National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger’s Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com
- Migraine Awareness Month Blog Challenge #5 – Do That To Me One More Time (stevishabitat.wordpress.com)
- Migraine Awareness Month Blog Challenge #4 – June Is Bustin’ Out All Over! (stevishabitat.wordpress.com)
- My Worst Migraine Trigger: MIgraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge (somebodyhealme.dianalee.net)
- A World of Hurt: How to Deal with Migraines (healthyheels.wordpress.com)